E-MAIL; artsliberationfront@yahoo.com

Friday, May 19, 2017

TAXI TIMES

...now that I'm on the subject

I drove cab at night in L.A. and Hollywood for many
years.  I'm often asked did I have any famous people in
the cab.  The short answer...yes!

Who was the most famous?

He is so old most people won't remember
him.  He was the main radio broadcaster
in WWII

This was probably in the early 60's.  The
Coconut Grove and the Brown Derby on Wilshire Blvd
were the hot spots.  The area behind it on 8th St.
was the happening area.

One night around 3 or 4 AM I pull into the Coconut Grove
cab stand and get out to talk to the door man, Harry Black.

He was talking to...guess who?

WALTER WINCHEL

Remember....good evening Mr. and Mrs. America
...and all the ships at sea.

Harry introduced me.  I called him Walt.

Harry was upset, Walter said it's o.k. I was just a kid.

The other big name was....!!!

One nite I get a call for a place way back in the
Beverly Hills.  In that area there were fences around everyplace. 

I pulled up to the voice box at the gate.  Soon
someone came down and let me in.  He went back to the
house.  I turned around and waited.  Pretty soon
a short blond haired guy came out and inquired how much it was to go to a certain place.  I told him, he went
back inside.

Pretty soon a couple of women come out and get in the cab.  I take them where they wanted to go.

A week later I get another call for the same place.
This time the gate is open, so I drive up and turn around.
Soon the guy who let me in before comes out
and gets in.  He is going to what I know to be a see and be seen spot.

I asked him who lives there?

That was ROD STEWART who came out and
inquired about the fare.

I had Dino Delaurentis nephew in the cab once.  I think
Burt  Bacharach who was really drunk one time.

There are three kinds of people in L.A.
Artist, actors and illegal aliens.

For every legitimate actor you have you'll get a hundred wanna' be's.

I'm an actor, turn left here.  what have you
been in ?  Nuffin' yet.

Can I get a break on the meter ?




No comments:

Post a Comment